Bael or “Shivaduma ” also known as the tree of Lord Shiva is of sacred value in India. It is also an important medicinal plant with several uses in traditional medicine. All parts of Bael (root, leaf, trunk, fruit and seeds) are useful in the management of various diseases. Bael that goes with the botanical name Aegle marmelos is a middle-sized tree, with slender branches and pale brown bark.
According to Ayurveda, unripe Bael fruit pulp along with sugar or honey is found to be very effective in managing diarrhea, dysentery and other gastrointestinal disorders. Bael powder contains laxative properties that help to treat constipation. Bael contains a volatile oil which contains compounds such as alpha pinene, limonene, caryophyllene and alpha phellandrene. Flavonoids, tannins, coumarins, sterols and alkaloids are also found in the bael fruit. The key ingredients of Belgiri Powder are Bael . Some of the benefits for which bael powder can be consumed are as follows-
- Beneficial for digestion – Bael is the best fruit for all digestive problems that have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties. Its magical juice may control gastric ulcers caused due to the imbalance of mucosa and levels of oxidative stress in the gastric tract. It also has laxative properties that prevent constipation.
- Help in scurvy – Bael is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants that help control your symptoms of scurvy. Scurvy can cause a deficiency of Vitamin C in the body resulting in sore arms and legs and weakness. Bael juice is a good source of vitamins and cures this disease.
- For dysentery – It can be useful in treatment of dysentry, an inflammation of the gut caused by infectious microbes. The greatest medicinal value, however, has been attributed to its fruit and the unripe fruit is said to be an excellent remedy for diarrhoea and is especially useful in chronic diarrheas. It helps in the management of diarrhoea symptoms by reducing gastric motility
- Constipation- The laxative properties of the bealgiri powder help in cleaning the intestine for controlling constipation. It eases the passage of stools and promotes bowel movement, used for the treatment of constipation.
- Boosts immunity-Bael fruit or wood apple is the powerhouse of vitamin C which is a strong antioxidant that boosts immunity and provides relief from common cold, sinus, headache, and eye and ear pain. It is also effective in fighting chronic diseases and reduces the risk of high blood pressure.
- Good for blood purification- It is known as a powerful blood purifying agent and helps in the elimination of toxins from the system. It is a natural detoxifying agent and thus, prevents kidney and liver dysfunctions. It also helps in fighting with infections and skin diseases which are common in monsoons. It is also known to heal and prevent acne and skin related issues.
- Other uses – It reduces inflammation or swelling caused due to an injury or infection. It is also a substance that eliminates excess gas from the stomach and intestines. It also Wood apple is also rich in anti-inflammatory properties helping reduce the risks of cardiovascular diseases.