Bael or Aegle marmelos are loaded with lots of nutrients and their leaves are favorite of Lord Shiva. In the month of Sharavana, Bol Bom devotees pour water on Shiva Linga. Many of them also offer bael leaves as the Lord gets pleased with this leave. Often the priest provides a few bael leaves offered to the Lord which the devotees consume. Hence, along with spiritual power they scientifically get health benefits.
Bael leaves are rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and minerals like calcium, potassium, and iron. There are many health benefits of bael leaves, it can treat tuberculosis, hepatitis, ulcer, and digestive problems. Beal leaves are also a good source of tannins which can help in treating cholera.
In the treatment of jaundice, asthma, it is found to be very useful. Bael leaves are a good aid in removing mucilage secretion from bronchial tubes. Application is found in conjunctivitis treatment and even in curing constipation, deafness, and leucorrhoea. Bowel syndrome may be treated by bael leaf powder. It is used as a remedial measure in the treatment of beriberi. Bael leaf essential oil is reported to show various therapeutic actions.
Massaging Bael leaf powder with coconut oil on the scalp is good for promoting hair growth as it provides nourishment to the hair. This paste can also be applied for managing eye complications such as abscess due to its anti-inflammatory activity. You can even use Bael pulp as a face pack to give you a youthful looking skin.
Some of the benefits of Bael leaves-
- Good for digestion- The leaves and fruit of Bael are very good for all kinds of digestive ptoblems. Bael has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties.
- Helps in controlling diarrhea- Bael leaf possess anti-diarrhoeal activity. Anti-diarrhoeal activity is judged by the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) method. Tannin present in bael exhibits astringent properties, a magical remedy for diarrhea.
- Good for Diabetes- Vitamin E present in bael shows anti-diabetic effects. Aegle marmelos leaf extract increases serum insulin level and thereby decrease blood glucose level. Anhydromarmeline aegelinosides A and B found in bael leaf extract act as a –glucosidase inhibitors. Saponins and coumarins in bael leaf extract can alsoreduce the cholesterol level .
- Has antimicrobial properties- Bael leaves are reported to be extraordinary in protection against a wide variety of pathogenic organisms which include antibacterial, antitumor, antiviral, anti-inflammatory,, anti-fungal. Filariae also found to be prevented with bael leaf extract. Bael powder has the ability to prevent intestinal parasites like Ascaris lumbricoides and Entamoeba histolytica.
- Peptic Ulcer – Leaf extracts of Bael are used for treatment of peptic ulcer. The pulp forms a mucilaginous layer on the gastric mucosa and prevents interaction of acid with mucosal layer.