What is Giloy?
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) is a climbing shrub that grows on other trees, from the botanical family Menispermaceae. iloy is one of the three Amrit plants. Amrit means the ‘root of immortality. Hence, it is also called Amritavalli or Amrita in Sanskrit.The plant is native to India but also found in China and tropical areas of Australia and Africa.
The stem of Giloy is considered highly effective because of its high nutritional content and the alkaloids found in it but the root and leaves also can be used.
According to a shloka of Charak Samhita, Giloy is one of the main herbs with a bitter taste. It is used in various disorders and also helps alleviate Vata and Kapha dosha.
What are some medicinal uses of Giloy?
Ayurveda emphasizes the ways in which you can strengthen your body ability to modulate healthy immune response. Ayurveda classics advise consumption of various herbs with Rasayana properties, a specific group of immunomodulatory herbs that helps the body natural ability to overcome infections. Also our gut health is of prime importance, since our gut and its micro biome are the main regulators of immunity, hosting about 70% of our body’s immune cells. Giloy has also known to be extremely effective in case of various chronic complications associated with low immunity, infections, gastric issues, and stress issues. One such herb which can be useful in all this is Giloy.
Giloy removes toxins from the body, purifies the blood and fights bacteria. It is especially beneficial for people with liver disease. It is antipyretic in nature, which means it can reduce fever and ease the symptoms of life-threatening fevers like dengue.
Some benefits of Giloy powder-
- Treats Arthritis- Giloy contains anti-arthritic properties that help to treat arthritis and its several symptoms. For joint pain, the powder from giloy stem can be boiled with milk and consumed.
- Improvement of hair quality- Antioxidants present in Giloy boost immunity and fight off stress, one of the leading causes of hair loss among women. Giloy is a Raktashodhak. This means it poses as a remedy for scurvy. It also eradicates hair conditions like dandruff, split ends, and dry scalp due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Boosts immunity- Giloy is a powerhouse of antioxidants which fight free-radicals, keep your cells healthy and get rid of diseases. Giloy helps remove toxins, purifies blood, fights bacteria that causes diseases and also combats liver diseases and urinary tract infections. Giloy is used by experts in treating heart related conditions, and is also found useful in treating infertility.
- Good for Eye Problem- Giloy powder is pretty beneficial in case of vision problems. It improves the eye muscles, boosts clarity and helps a person see better without any glasses. Regular intake of this classical medicine improves eyesight and thwarts several eye problems. Applying Giloy topically to the eye can significantly improve eye-sight. A Panchakarma treatment usually involves it. A simple way to use Giloy powder is to boil it in water, then place it over your eyes after it has cooled.
- It can also possibly protect your heart- Another study found that giloy can potentially normalise lipid metabolism, thereby indirectly benefiting your heart
- Improves Digestion- Indigestion is one of the most common problems we go through. Giloy helps to improve the digestive system and bowel movement. It is used in various Indian churans. It also improves metabolism and is useful for weight management.
- Reduces Signs of Aging- Giloy contains anti-ageing properties that help to reduce ageing, dark spots, pimples, fine lines and wrinkles, acne. Giloy powder can also be used, for various skin problems as it helps to remove toxins from the body.
- Reduces stress- Giloy used as an adaptogenic herb to reduce anxiety as well as mental stress. If combined with other herbs, Giloy can help in getting rid of toxins, and it calms down your mind, and boosts the memory.
Tip: How to use Giloy powder for hair?
- Take about 3-6 grams of Giloy powder and mix it with one glass of water. Mix it till it becomes a runny paste. Section your hair and apply the paste on the scalp all the way to the tips of your hair. Leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then rinse your hair with any shampoo of your choice.