Ayurveda has certain herbs that could come in handy to manage blood sugar levels naturally and check fluctuations. One such herb is gudmar also known as gymnema. The Hindi name, gurmar, means “destroyer of sugar.” Gudmaar is used for diabetes, metabolic syndrome, weight loss, and cough. It is also used for malaria and as a snake bite antidote, digestive stimulant, laxative, appetite suppressant, and diuretic.
Gudmar (Gymnema sylvestre ), is a perennial woody vine that grows in tropical areas of India, Africa, and Australia. The herb is with elliptical leaves and small, yellow flowers. The medicinal part of the plant is the leaf, which reduces or eliminates the ability to perceive sweetness.
Gymnema contains substances that decrease the absorption of sugar from the intestine. Gymnema may also increase the amount of insulin in the body and increase the growth of cells in the pancreas, which is the place in the body where insulin is made.
Benefits of Gudmaar Powder-
- Decreases sugar cravings- Gymnemic acids in the herb blocks the sugar receptors on your tongue, decreasing your ability to taste sweetness. This can lead to reduced sugar cravings. Gurdmar is known for its ability to lower perception of sweet flavors and lower cravings for sweets and sugars. People with ketosis if experienced occasional sweet tooth may find beneficial to add Gymnema sylvestre by avoiding sugar and sweet treats by making it less appealing.
- Weight loss- . Gymnema sylvestre when taken before meals by overweight people tends to eat less. It lowers body weight by stimulating the central nervous system by managing stress, disrupt sleep and alter cortisol levels. Also it lowered the body weight to normal levels in obese rats. It makes transition to low carb intake easier and lowers the adverse effects of consuming too much carbs and sugar. By blocking sweet receptors on your taste buds, Gymnema sylvestre may cause you to eat fewer sweet foods and consume fewer calories. A consistent calorie deficit can result in weight loss.
- Manage blood sugar- Gudmaar has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It prevents the pancreatic cells against damage caused by free radicals and increases insulin secretion thereby lowers the blood sugar level. Gymnema is helpful for diabetes and metabolic syndrome. It controls blood sugar and also reduces the levels of high blood glucose. It improves insulin response to food and lowers the dependence on insulin therapy and oral diabetes drugs. It restores insulin secretion from pancreatic beta cells and regenerates the damaged beta cells.
- For preventing growth of worms- Gudmar is effective herb to prevent the growth of worms in the intestine. According to Ayurveda, worms are called Krimi. The growth of worms is encouraged by low Agni (weak digestive fire). Gudmar helps to improve the digestive fire and destroys the ideal condition for the growth of worms due to its Ushna (hot) nature.
- Helps in reducing inflammation- Gudmar might help reduce inflammation as it contains certain constituents( tannins and saponins) which have anti-inflammatory property. These constituents help to inhibit the release of mediators (cytokines) responsible for causing inflammation.