Indian kino tree (Pterocarpus marsupium), commonly called Vijaysar and Malabar kino is indigenous to India, Sri Lanka, and Nepal. It is one of the powerful herbs that are widely used in Ayurveda for its therapeutic and healing properties. Vijaysar is widely used in Ayurveda as a “Rasayana” (rejuvenating) herb. The bark of Vijaysar has significant importance in Ayurveda in managing diabetes and is also known as “The miracle cure for Diabetes” mainly due to its Tikta (bitter) nature.
According to Ayurveda, Vijaysar pacifies Kapha and Pitta doshas. It has astringent properties, which balances pitta and helpful in bleeding problems and gout. The main usable part of Vijaysar is the heartwood. It is considered as the miracle cure for diabetes in Ayurveda because the principal constituents of Vijaysar are isoliquiritigenin and liquiritigenin. These chemical compounds are crucial for controlling diabetes. It also has astringent, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, antihyperlipidemic, anthelmintic properties.
Some benefits of Vijaysar are as follows-
- For diabetes- Vijaysar has the ability to increase insulin production in the body and helps in beta cell regeneration. IVijayasar is good for managing high sugar level by improving the metabolism due to its Tikta (bitter) and Kapha-Pitta balancing properties. It also reduces the symptoms of diabetes like frequent urination, tiredness. Thus, Vijaysar helps maintain a healthy blood sugar level. It also helps in managing the symptoms of diabetes such as frequent urination, excessive thirst, fatigue and overeating due to its Kashaya (astringent) property.
- Helpful in treating Wounds And Ulcers- The powerful anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer properties of vijaysar heartwood play a pivotal role in treating different types of ulcers like canker sores or mouth ulcers, peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis, etc. The bioactive composites in the plant encourage tissue regeneration and the juice extracted from the leaves is also used for dressing wounds.
- Purifies Blood- Owing to the detoxifying properties of the Vijaysar, the powder obtained from the bark or heartwood is extremely beneficial in purifying the blood. By cleansing the blood, it improves blood circulation and also helps to remove the toxins from the bloodstream and the various organs in the body.
- Manages Hair Problems- Vijaysar has been a boon for promoting hair growth since ancient times. Owing to the intrinsic anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, the plant treats various scalp and hair infections like folliculitis, itching and dandruff. It nourishes the hair follicles with essential nutrients, improves blood circulation and strengthens the hair strands from the roots. By normalising the secretion of the stress hormone, it also prevents hair fall and breakage due to stress and anxiety.
- Vijaysar for Skin problems- The antimicrobial and healing properties of Vijaysar are extremely effective in treating skin problems such as Psoriasis, eczema, etc. You can consume the bark of this plant regularly or apply the paste obtained from the bark in the skin to quicken the healing of wounds and ulcers in the skin.