Shatavari also known a ‘queen of herbs’ has been used as a natural hormonal balancer since time immemorial. Shtawari is scintefically known as Asparagus Racemosus- Some ancient texts also mention the plant as “one with hundred husbands” since the plant is extremely beneficial for enhancing women health and promotes libido in women. Shatavari has been used for thousands of years as an aphrodisiac; a powerful rasayan promoting strength, youthfulness, memory and intelligence; and hridayam, uplifting for the heart. The word Shatavari literally translates to “she who has hundreds of husbands” or “curer of one hundred diseases.” Shatavari is known as the female-friendly herb. It is helpful in menstrual disorders and acts as a uterine tonic. It enhances breast development and increases breast milk production by regulating hormonal balance. Shatavari is also beneficial for men as it improves testosterone levels. It might be good for diabetics as it helps manage blood sugar levels. Shatavari might also promote memory functions due to its antioxidant activity.
According to Ayurveda, Shatavari boosts immunity due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) property and helps in weight gain due to its Balya property. Shwet or white Shatavari Roots powder is taken as ayurvedic medicine, which is known for providing antioxidants and anti-anxiety effects. Presence of antioxidant content in this white root, protects the body from harm and issues caused by free radicals, which can damage the body cells and lead to severe diseases, like cancer. Its consumption also helps in fighting anxiety and depression, which ultimately leads to reduced mental stress.
Some of the myriad health benefits of Shatawari (Shwet) powder are as follows-
- Shatavari for Female Reproductive System- touted as a powerful female-friendly herb, Shatavari helps in treating numerous hormonal problems. Not only does it help in treating endometriosis (i.e. inflammation of the lining of the uterus) but also maintains hormonal levels within the blood, strengthens the female reproductive organs and enhances maturation of the eggs into follicles. Being a powerful uterine tonic, regular use of this formulation or consuming foods that improve fertility may be very helpful when an individual is trying to conceive. The main constituents of Shatavari are steroidal saponins that suggest its use as an estrogen regulator. This modulation helps to regulate menstrual cycles, manage PMS symptoms, alleviate menstrual cramps, and control the amount of blood lost. It may help with fluid retention and uncomfortable bloating often suffered before a period. Studies suggest that it may improve conditions such as hormonal imbalances and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- It has antioxidant properties- Antioxidants help prevent free-radical cell damage. They also battle oxidative stress, which causes disease. Shatavari is high in saponins. Saponins are compounds with antioxidant abilities.
- For Lactation-Coined as a powerful galactagogue, Shatavari holds high significance in lactating women to boost the secretion of milk from the mammary glands. This is extremely beneficial towards the young ones since breast milk is ideal for their nourishment and strengthening their immune system. It not only heals the new mom after childbirth but also helps in improving the production of breastmilk for feeding the newborn. One such potent herbal formulation is Shatavari Kalpa.
- Antidiabetic- Shatawari roots have been shown to enhance insulin secretion in perfused pancreas and isolated islets. Studies have shown A. racemosus or Shatawari extract improves glucose tolerance in type two of diabetics. Daily administration of shatawari decreases serum glucose, increases pancreatic insulin, plasma insulin, liver glycogen and total oxidant status. Thus, shatawari may be useful as a source of antidiabetic compounds or a dietary adjunct for the management of diabetes.
- Helps give boost to immune system- Shatavari plays a very important role in stimulating immune cells. This is assumed to be due to the steroidal plant compound contained within the root “sapogenin”, a potent immune stimulator. It increases the body’s resistance during normal and immune-suppressed conditions, helping to boost immunity during immune-suppressed conditions and aiding in the recovery of the immune system itself. Sapogenins will also stimulate the cells that fight infection, reducing the overall population of infection-causing cells.