Shankhpushpi, whose botanical name is Convolvulus pluricaulis is a perennial plant native to India. Shankhpushpi or Shyamaktanta is a perennial herb that is used for its medicinal benefits. Sankhaphuli is a potent memory booster and brain tonic that actively works to improve intelligence and functioning of the brain. The name shankhpushpi was given to the plant owing to its shankh or conch shaped flowers. It helps to manage digestion and constipation due to its mild laxative property. It improves mental health and might help in managing depression due to its antidepressant activity.
According to Ayurveda, Shankhpushpi helps to calm down the brain and relieve stress as well as anxiety. It also improves memory by acting as a brain tonic due to its Medhya (improves intelligence) property.
Shankhpushpi might help to manage wrinkles and prevent ageing due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) property. Applying Shankhpushpi powder on skin helps in acne and wound healing due to its Ropan (healing) property. Applying Shankhpushpi oil on the scalp and hair help control hair fall and also promotes hair growth due to its Rasayana (rejuvenating) property.
Some benefits of Shankhpushpi powder are as follows-
- Treats insomnia- As Shankhpushpi can help to reduce cortisol levels and reduce stress, it is extremely effective at tackling insomnia. If you’re looking for a more peaceful sleep, try mixing a spoonful of Shankhpushpi powder with a glass of milk before heading to sleep.
- Improves Cognitive Functioning- Shankhpushpi is an old remedy for developing the functioning of the brain. The potent antioxidants and flavonoids performing in it promote the memory capacity, concentration, focus, calmness, alertness of an individual.
- Calms Down Mind- It is beneficial in treating headaches and high blood pressure. These common traits usually arise in anger and hypertension. Shankhpushpi helps you to calm down and take rest.
- Reduces Mental Fatigue- Mental fatigue mostly occurs due to excessive work using a computer, learning or memorizing activities, watching television for hours, etc. and leads to a person to lose concentration. Shankhpushpi is a powerful memory booster that aids in strengthening the brain’s acting efficiency and lessen the loss of concentration
- can help with epilepsy- Besides acting as a cognitive aid and memory enhancer, Shankhpushpi can be used to treat central nervous system disorders such as epilepsy. Though Shankhpushpi should not be solely relied upon and should be used in conjunction with pre-approved medicines, it is still an excellent way to keep the brain healthy.
- Strengthens Nervous System- When taken with ghee, it strengthens the nervous system and is also said to be good for the longevity of life.
- Treatment For Hyperthyroidism- This is one of the new discoveries of Shankhpushpi. It has anti-thyroid properties, which means it reduces the level of thyroid hormone in the body.