Safed musli or Musli (swet) is a rare herb from India. It is used in traditional systems of medicine including Ayurveda, Unani, and homeopathy. It is traditionally used for arthritis, cancer, diabetes, boosting vitality, improving sexual performance, and for many other uses. Musli which goes by the botanical name Chlorophytum Borivilianum belongs to the Asparagaceae family. It is a tropical herb that is spread throughout the wet forests of peninsular India. The herb has erected lanceolate-shaped leaves and dense racemosus white-coloured flowers. It usually grows to a height of 1.8 ft. Commonly referred to as the Indian Spider Plant, or White Musli, its most frequently used parts are the roots and the seeds. Interestingly, Safed Musli is endemic to India- meaning, it is exclusively found only in the subcontinent.
This herb is said to enhance your strength, sexual performance, and endurance. It is also capable of combating health issues like muscle weakness, fatigue, and diabetes. According to Ayurveda, it is said to calm the Vata and the Pitta Dosha that are mainly responsible for sexual and gut health of women.Safed Musli is promoted as a sexual enhancement herb and has historically been used as an aphrodisiac. It has several nutrients such as protein, vitamins, calcium, magnesium, etc. which help in securing overall health.
Some of the many health benefits of safed musli are as follows-
- Aphrodisiac– Famed for its powerful aphrodisiac properties, the white powdered musli is extremely beneficial for addressing issues like erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, and infertility when consumed regularly. Safed Musli acts as Vajikarana (aphrodisiac) and Rasayana (rejuvenating) which makes it effective to improve sexual performance. Safed musli acts as Vajikarana (aphrodisiac) and Rasayana (rejuvenating) agent and helps to improve the sperm count.
- Safed Musli for stress- Stress may be due to an imbalance of Vata dosha in the body. Safed Musli has a property of balancing Vata dosha in the body, thus reducing stress.
- Safed Musli and Lactation- Did you know what a galactagogue is? This means a milk producing Who is this beneficial for? Safed Musli for lactating and breastfeeding mothers, of course. Especially those that are new mothers and are getting used to the process of feeding their little ones. Not only this, Safed Musli can help with the postnatal health of women as well, restoring their body back to robust health.
- Treats arthritis- Safed Musli contains anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory properties that can provide relief from inflammation and pain caused by arthritis. During menopause many women experience body pain and joint pain. Besides, people with arthritis too suffer from joint pain and soreness. If you are undergoing any of these condition, you must take safed musli daily. Musli offers nutrients like calcium and protein that are great for strengthening your bones and joints.
- Cures diarrhea- Safed Musli contains anti-bacterial and anti-diarrhoea properties that can treat and prevent diarrhoea.
- Combats anxiety and depression- Safed Musli has anti-stress properties that manage serotonin levels to combat anxiety and depression.