Lodhra is an ancient healing herb in the Ayurvedic practice of medicine that goes by the botanical name Symplocos racemosa roxb and is an integral part of the Symplocaceae family. It is an impoetant herb in Ayurveda. The plant usually grows to height of 6 metres and is primarily found growing in the in the northeastern hilly areas of the Indian subcontinent. This evergreen plant has purple blackish fruit and a velvety leaf stalk. Lodhra translates to the one which helps in making the body firm.
Lodhra caters to several health benefits, such as; cures acne, blemishes, white and black heads; Beneficial in gynaecological or female disorders, Cures eye disorders, Cures dental problems, Treat Ulcers, Heals wound, Stop haemorrhage, Reduces heaviness in the body etc.
Lodhra is given to alleviate vitiated blood, Kapha and pitta. According to Ayurveda, it balances both Pitta and Kapha doshas.It promotes eyesight and cures Shotha (oedema). It is laxative, cooling and astringent. Lodhra is used for bowel complaints, eye diseases, ulcers, etc. The bark of the Lodhra tree is loaded with medicinal benefits and is used in the Ayurvedic system for ages. The decoction of bark is used as a mouth wash to give firmness to bleeding and spongy gums. This decoction is also given as snake-bite cure. The bark decoction is given with milk in for menstrual disorders.
It has an astringent and bitter taste and cold potency. The main chemical constituents of Lodhra include loturine, colloturine, and loturidine. It also has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, anti-cancer, astringent, anti-ulcer, digestive, hepatoprotective, and expectorant properties. Here are some of the amazing health benefits of Lodhra.
Some of the many health benefits of Lodhra Pathani powder are as follows-
- Helpful for women in gynecological issues – Lodhra Powder is its ability to benefit women in various ways. Deemed as a powerful female-friendly herb, Lodhra is a boon for treating numerous hormonal problems. Not only does it help in treating endometriosis (i.e., inflammation of the lining of the uterus) but also normalizes FSH and LH levels within the blood, which thereby helps in regulating overall body development, growth, pubertal maturation, strengthens the female reproductive organs, manages the menstrual cycle and triggers ovulation (i.e., it stimulates the ovaries to produce eggs that mature into follicles) and also helps in the development of the corpus luteum. Being a powerful uterine tonic, regular use of this herb imbued formulation improves fertility when an individual is trying to conceive.
- Cure dental problems- The anti-bacterial property of lodhra helps to cure oral problems. To cure it, after bloodletting paste of lodhra, musta and rasanjana mixed with honey should be applied.
- Promotes skin health – An aggravation of the Pitta dosha within the body, may lead to different types of skin infections, eczema, acne and poor complexion. Sanctified with antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, Ayurveda acknowledges lodhra as a well-known one-step remedy for various skin conditions. Owing to its blood purifying properties which helps in removing toxins from the blood, it helps in treating a host of skin infections as well.
- Useful for liver disorders-Lodhra is loaded with hepatoprotective and hepato-stimulative properties, thus it makes for a magical remedy for most liver anomalies especially jaundice, in which the liver gets mostly effected. The herb not only provides support to the liver functioning by secreting bile but also helps the liver enzymes to tune down to normal levels. It also cleanses and detoxifies the liver and improves liver functioning.
- Cure for respiratory problems- Properties of Lodhra being anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and anti-asthmatic properties, Lodhra is considered to be a well-known traditional remedy for all sorts of respiratory troubles. It is beneficial in treating common cold, sore throat, cough and flu symptoms. Being a Kapha pacifier, it actively thins and loosens catarrh particles within the chest and nasal cavities and hence eases breathing and helps the body to get rid of mucus. It is also beneficial for treating asthma and other bronchial conditions.
- Helpful for digestion- The potent antacid property of Lodhra prevents the formation of excessive acids in the stomach thereby treating indigestion, ulcer, gastritis and promoting better absorption of nutrients in the body. This Ayurvedic herb has anti-flatulent and digestive property that reduces flatulence, bloating, constipation and abdominal distension. It also prevents the formation of excess acids in the stomach and promotes better nutrient absorption in the body.