Curry leaves are the foliage of the curry tree (Murraya koenigii or Bergera koenigii). Curry leaves or sweet neem leaves are extensively used in India for culinary and medicinal purposes. They are small green leaves with a unique flavour and aroma. They are widely used as a seasoning in South Indian dishes like sambhar, rasam, chutney etc. This tree is native to India, and its leaves are used for both medicinal and culinary applications. They’re highly aromatic and have a unique flavor with notes of citrus (
Curry leaves are small in size and long, slender, and oval in shape narrowing to a point, averaging 2-4 centimeters in length and 1-2 centimeters in width. The shiny, dark green leaves grow innately along a stem, and each branch can hold up to twenty, tightly clustered leaves. Curry leaves are extremely aromatic and have a strong flavor that has been compared to citrus, asafetida, anise, and lemongrass. When cooked, Curry leaves have a mild and slightly pungent bite with a nutty aroma.
Kadi Patta as they are known in Hindi are used in Ayurveda as a natural treatment for various health problems like weight gain, blood pressure, indigestion, anemia etc. These aromatic leaves have nutrients like vitamins A, B, C, amino acids, calcium, fiber,protein, phosphorous and iron.
Some of the many health benefits of Curry leaves powder are as follows-
- Cures diarrhea- Carbazole alkaloids present in curry leaves contain anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which help in combating an upset stomach. Curry leaves are also used for treating an upset stomach. They are good for the digestive system. They support the bowel movement and even stimulate digestive enzymes. The carbazole alkaloids present in curry leaves have anti-diarrheal properties.
- Helps in losing weight- Alkaloids in Curry leaves help in maintaining cholesterol levels in our body. Curry leaves also act as a detoxifying agent, removing toxins from our body and preventing the accumulation of fat. It helps in cleansing the body by flushing out harmful toxins from the body. It also helps in burning unwanted fat, thus promoting weight loss.
- Relieves morning sickness- In many cultures curry leaves is thought to be helpful for dealing with vomiting, nausea and morning sickness. These wonder leaves help in increasing digestive secretions and relieve morning sickness.
- Protects your liver- Research on curry leaves have shown that it exhibits hepatoprotective properties .i.e. ability to prevent liver damage. Curry leaves contain antioxidants like kaempferol, that helps to protect the liver from oxidative stress and harmful toxins. It also helps to protect the liver from any attacks by free radicals as well as viral or bacterial attacks that can lead to infection. Curry leaves helps to quell the liver damage from heavy consumption of alcohol.
- Heals wounds- Curry leaves can even be applied topically! Apply curry leaves paste on wounds, mild burns or rashes to help heal them. Curry leaves have antiseptic properties that can even protect the wounded area of the skin from infections.
- Treats Anaemia- Curry leaves are rich in iron and folic acid which is important in improving iron levels in the body. Folic acid is mainly responsible for iron absorption.
- Anti-diabetic properties- According to various researches, curry leaves can protect and stimulate insulin-producing cells of the pancreas from free radical damage. Kadi patta is packed with minerals like iron, zinc and copper, all of which are known to stimulate the pancreas
- Good for the eyesight– Curry leaves are rich in vitamin A and carotenoids, which are essential for the health of your eye and vision.
- Improves digestion- Curry leaves is known to help improve digestion and alter the way your body absorbs fat, thereby helping you lose weight. Since weight gain is one of the leading causes of diabetes, kadi patta treats the problem right at the root.
- Can reduce the risk of cancer- Curry leaves have anti-mutagenic potential. They protect our body from different types of cancers. Flavonoids in Curry leaves act as anti-cancer agents
- Hair care- Curry leaves are believed to help in strengthening hair roots. Dry curry leaf powder mixed with oil can be applied to your hair. The paste from curry leaves can also be applied in cases of grey hair. Doing these on a regular basis can improve hair growth as well.
- Good for hair growth- Curry leaves are packed with various nutrients that help in treating damaged hair, hair fall, greying, strengthening the shaft of thin hair and trearing dandruff. They strengthen our hair and prevent hair loss.
- Prevents greying of hair- Kadi patta has always been known to help in preventing greying of the hair. It is also very effective in treating damaged hair, adding bounce to limp hair, strengthening the shaft of thin hair, hair fall and treats dandruff. The best part about this benefit is that you can either choose to eat the curry leaves to help with your hair woes or apply it to your scalp as a remedy.