Fenugreek seeds or methi dana is a commonly used spice in Indian kitchens. Fenugreek or methi seeds are commonly used in our households for their great flavour and aroma. Fenugreek seeds are packed with vitamins and minerals that are good for our overall health. Fenugreek leaves are a storehouse of many minerals and vitamins. They are rich in vitamins such as thiamine, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamins A, B6, C, and K. Methi also contains minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, iron, selenium, zinc, manganese, and magnesium. Fenugreek may sound like a foreign word but it’s a commonly found herb that literally means ‘Greek hay’. In desi terms, it’s nothing but methi. Not only does it add a unique, flavourful taste to the food, but also helps to keep our body healthy.
Fenugreek seeds have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that are good for your body. Fenugreek seeds not just add great flavour to your different preparation, they have some amazing benefits for your health too. Methi or fenugreek seeds are great for your skin and hair too.
Some of the many health benefits of danamethi are as follows-
- Curbs high cholesterol levels-Regular consumption of fenugreek powder through meals can also help cut down low-density lipoprotein (LDL or “bad”) cholesterol.
- Pomotes hair growth- Fenugreek seeds have nutrients that help in hair growth. Consuming fenugreek water will promote hair growth, improve hair volume, and keep hair problems such as dandruff, roughness at bay. Fenugreek seeds are a good source of protein and nicotinic acid that strengthen the hair shaft and breakage. Fenugreek seeds contain lecithin, an emulsifying substance which gives lustrous shine to hair. The mask prepared with fenugreek powder and water, produce a slippery substance that imparts shine to your hair.
- Good for skin- Fenugreek seeds soaked in water overnight and blended into a paste work as a superb skin cleanser. Danamethi powder can also be used for as a a natural exfoliatior. It not only removes the dead skin cells but also reduces excess oil from the skin. Fenugreek seeds contain vitamin K and vitamin C that help in reducing blemishes and dark circles from the skin. These small golden seeds are imbued with compounds which keep skin beautiful, young, and wrinkle-free. They kill the free radicals which cause wrinkles and dark spots on the skin.
- Helpful for Kapha dominated people- Ayurveda describes kapha dominated people to have a constitution that lacks heat (agni) in their body. Kapha people therefore have a weaker immunity and issues related to cold, cough and flu. Fenugreek water consumption is great for generating heat in the body; it helps give vitality to the body and boosting immunity.
- Blood sugar regulation- Fenugreek is excellent for regulating blood sugar levels. It may help in tackling insulin resistance, making it more responsive and sensitive. That is why is it more commonly used by diabetics. Methi seeds are a great remedy for diabetics. Methi helps in controlling the blood sugar level. The amino acid compounds in fenugreek seeds increase insulin secretion in the pancreas which helps in lowering the blood sugar level in the body.
- Enhance breast feeding- It has been found that if lactating mothers drink fenugreek infused tea, they are able to produce sufficient amount of breast milk – the best source of food and nutrients for a newborn.
- Aids digestion- As fenugreek is rich in fibre and antioxidants, it helps in flushing out harmful toxins from the body and thus, aids digestion. In some cases, fenugreek tea is used to relieve indigestion and stomach pain. You can even drink fenugreek decoction early in the morning to deal with constipation.
- Reduces pain during periods- If you experience pain every time you menstruate, try having fenugreek powder. 2 to 3 grams of fenugreek powder during the first three days of your period can help reduce the pain to a large extent.