Karela, also known as bitter gourd, is rich in vitamin A and vitamin C. Minerals like potassium, folate, zinc and iron are also present in karela. It is a vegetable with important medicinal value. It is packed with nutrients and vitamins (vitamin A and vitamin C) which help protect the body against certain diseases.
Karela is good for the skin due to its blood purification activity which keeps the skin glowing naturally. Karela also helps improve digestion and enhances appetite.
Karela paste or powder mixed with coconut oil or water, can be applied externally on the scalp to help get rid of dandruff due to its antiviral and antibacterial properties.
According to Ayurveda, Karela paste might help reduce the problem of piles mass due to its strong Ropan (healing) property.
Bitter melon or Karela is a fruit in the gourd family with a unique appearance and flavor. Bitter gourd is a green-skinned vegetable with white to translucent flesh and a taste that fits its name. It’s not only rich in several important nutrients but also linked to numerous health benefits, including improved blood sugar control and cholesterol levels.
Howsoever bitter this vegetable might be it is powerpacked with essential nutrients and vitamins needed for healthy functioning of the body. This bitter gourd powder may possess alkaline, analgesic, appetizing, carminative etc. properties. Additionally, this bitter gourd powder may exert immunity boosting, antiviral, purgative, stimulating etc. properties to support a healthy way of living. Some of the many health benefits of consuming the same are mentioned further-
- Liver Cleanser- Bitter gourd is liver friendly and detoxifies. It boosts liver enzymes and is a good cure for a hangover as it reduces alcohol deposits on the liver. The bladder and the gut also benefit from consuming karela.
- An aid in weight loss- Bitter gourd is low in calories, fat and carbohydrates. Hence, It keeps one full for longer and thus, it can easily fit in one’s weight loss plan. Extracts of bitter gourd help in the dislocation of human fat cells and also hindered the formation and growth of new fat cells. It was further concluded that bitter gourd can be viewed as a natural agent for treating obesity.
- Good for Diabetics- Bitter gourd has anti-diabetic properties. One among them is charantin. It is known for its blood glucose-lowering effect. Bitter gourds also have an insulin-like compound called Polypeptide-p or insulin. This has been shown to control diabetes naturally. This is because it has the ability to prevent sudden spikes in sugar levels.
- Improves immunity: Karela powder is an extremely rich source of vitamin C, which helps boost immunity. It also has powerful antiviral property, which stimulates the immune system and also aids in digestion.
- Energises the Body- The body’s stamina and energy levels show remarkable improvement after regularly consuming karela. It even helps improve sleep quality and reduces sleep problems like insomnia.
- Fight acne- Consuming karela powder can help you get rid of acne, blemishes and skin infections and gives you a healthy and glowing skin. This is because Karela is a powerhouse of nutrients like Vitamin A and C, calcium, and antioxidants properties. The nutrients in bitter gourd can reduce ageing and fight acne and skin blemishes too.
- Clears Kidney Stones naturally – A tiny, hard deposit that forms in the kidneys is often painful when passed. Including bitter gourd in your diet can be beneficial in riding off kidney stones by naturally breaking them down. It also reduces the high acid that produces painful kidney stones. This is due to its Tikta (bitter) property. Bitter gourd also improves cardiac health. It reduces LDL or bad cholesterol and decreases the risk of suffering a heart attack.
- Improves Cardiac Health- Bitter gourd reduces LDL (bad cholesterol) and decreases the risk of suffering a heart attack. The fibre also helps to unclog the arteries.
- Heals Wounds- Karela has great healing properties. It controls the blood flow and blood clotting that helps in quicker healing of wounds and reduction in infections.
- Benefits the Eyes- Karela is rich in vitamin A and prevent cataract and strengthens vision. It even lightens dark circles.