Sapindus Mukorossi or reetha also goes by several other names like soapnut, soapberry and washnut. Reetha is a deciduous tree that grows along the hills of the Himalayas, with each tree producing almost 35 kg of fruit every year. Reetha has been used to make natural hair care products since time immemorial. Soapnut are the fruits of a small tree called Sapindus Mukorossi tree, native of the Himalayas and the mountainous region between India and Nepal. Also called soapberry nut husks, they are indeed the husk (shell) from soapberry nuts. Once picked up and left to dry in the sun, these amazing shells contain a natural cleaning agent called saponin that produces an effect comparable to soap. Saponin is an element that has good cleaning properties This plant is rich in saponin, which makes your hair healthy, shiny, and lustrous when used regularly.. Reetha is used in many cleansing applications including hair care, skincare, and other washing applications. Reetha is an age-old remedy that makes hair extremely soft, gorgeous and overall beautiful. So, many people have switched to this natural way of cleansing. It is an eco-friendly and herbal solution to healthy skin and hair. Reetha results in a long shiny hair along with an even-toned skin. It is widely used as a natural cleaning agent. Reetha is hypoallergic, which makes it safe for use by everyone. An odourless ingredient in most shampoos and organic cleansers, Reetha does not cause any damage to clothes and is pretty mild on the hair and skin.
The greying of hair can be prevented when the mixture of powder of Amla and Reetha is mixed and then applied to the hair, and this mixture also supports better hair growth. As per Ayurveda, the Reetha has Tridosha property (Vatta Pitta Kaph balancing property), and this is beneficial in managing the skin infections such as psoriasis, eczema, and pimples. The Kadha prepared from Reetha is also helpful in a wound cleanser, and thereby it promotes wound healing to stop the further secondary infections.
Some uses of Reetha Powder are as follows-
- Natural hair Cleanser- Reetha is widely used in Ayurvedic Hair Care products as it acts as a natural alternative to chemically propelled cleansing agents that irritate the scalp and further dry the skin. The dried fruit of Reetha is used as a key component in various shampoos, cleansing agents and hair care products, owing to its potent ant-microbial and antiseptic properties. Its fruit has a bitter taste and has immense Kapha pacifying qualities. Reetha contains a natural surfactant, called Saponin that helps create foam to clean dirt, dust and oil in the hair.
- Prevents Dryness – Reetha powder contains numerous vitamins and all the vitamins are very beneficial for hair to get rid of dryness of the scalp. The vitamins A, D, E, and K found in reetha powder are known to make hair shiny and smooth. Reetha keeps hair soft, shiny and moisturizes the core of scalp, preventing it from drying. Reetha gives the cooling effect when mixed with other ingredients like shikhakai powder.
- Good for hair growth.- Reetha is enriched with many natural hair tonics and solutions that give good hair growth. Reetha powder is also used to get thick and bouncy hair. Reetha contains so many natural ingredients that give a good texture to hair. Reetha paste makes hair strong from the root and prevents them from falling.
- Intestinal Worms- Reetha helps to control intestinal worms. According to Ayurveda, worms are called as Krimi. The growth of worms is encouraged by low Agni (weak digestive fire). Taking Reetha helps to improve the digestive fire and destroy the ideal condition for the growth of worms. It helps to remove worms because of its Tikta (bitter)and Tikshna (sharp) properties.
- Hair Health- Dandruff, itchy scalp, hair fall, split ends, weak hair, are extremely common hair problems. Reetha powder provides cure solution to all of these. It is better than chemical hair tonics for hair growth and helps you achieve strong, bouncy, thick tresses. When reetha powder for hair is used for making homemade natural shampoo, hair pack, and conditioner by simply soaking the powder and mixing with other natural ingredients like shikakai powder, multani mitti powder, rose water, amla powder, coconut oil, and other organic hair care products, it works wonders for your hair.
- Treats Dandruff- It also helps the scalp to remain healthy and fight skin problems that result in dandruff. Reetha or soapnut is known for its antimicrobial properties. Thus it is also a wonderful option for treating scalp infections.
- Natural moisturizer for skin- It Keeps the skin hydrated and prevents dryness. It is especially recommended for sensitive skin as it is mild on skin. It further improves skin tone and results in glowing skin. It is also useful in skin care against psoriasis, blackheads, and pimples.
- Better complexion – Tired of experimenting with chemical-laden facewash products and don’t know which one is best? Why not shift to something organic? Reetha powder lightens the complexion and helps in improving the skin tone. Powdered reetha is easily available and can be used conveniently for daily skincare at home.
- Nourishes hair- Soapnut is rich in vitamins like A, E, D, K. They help in nourishing the hair, making them stronger and shinier. It helps in taming the hair, thus making it easier to style and detangle.
- Helps in controlling lice- The insecticidal properties of the reetha fruit can be beneficially used to keep lice under control. Hair care kills those unwanted parasites that thrive on your blood and make your hair their home.
- Reetha increases the silkiness of hair- Since, ancient times, reetha has been used for hair treatment. The chemical shampoos have various side effects which is why people are switching to natural soap like reetha. Washing with reetha powder provides shining and silky hair. It is used as important component in soaps and shampoos for hair wash.