Nagarmotha (Cyperus roundus), commonly called Mustak or Nutgrass is a widely popular herb in Ayurveda for its numerous health benefits. The root and root powder of Nagarmotha is extensively used in Ayurveda in the treatment of many diseases. This ayurvedic herb is bitter and gives a pungent smell. The main components of this herb are essential oils, flavonoids, terpenoids, sesquiterpenes, cyprotene, cyperene, selinene, rotundene, etc., It also has diuretic, emmenagogue, anthelmintic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antidysenteric, antirheumatic activities.
Ayurveda mainly suggests the use of the roots for various medicinal purposes. Owing to the presence of numerous essential oils, the roots have a characteristic smell and are used for the treatment of diseases since time immemorial. They are either used fresh or dried or even formulated into decoctions. According to Ayurveda, Nagarmotha helps improve digestion due to its Deepan and Pachan properties, if taken in the recommended dosage. It prevents cell damage caused by free radicals and protects the body from certain diseases. It also has anti-diarrheal property as it prevents the formation of watery stools due to the presence of flavonoids.
Some of the many health benefits of Nagramotha are as follows-
- Aids in skin problems- Nagarmotha is extremely useful in managing skin problems. It has a lot of skin benefitting properties. Applying the root powder of Nagarmotha with coconut oil on the skin prevents the skin from infections and helps cure itchiness and dry skin. It also helps to maintain fair skin.
- Managing diabetes- Nagarmotha has antioxidant properties that help in lowering blood sugar levels. It is an effective solution to manage diabetes painlessly.
- Shield against Infections- The biochemical compounds present in Nagarmotha has been used since the ancient times to combat germs and shield the body against various infections. Thanks to its strong anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and antifungal properties, mustak is not only used for removing bacteria and germs from the body but also used for recurring fever conditions. It also helps in reducing general debility, weakness, and fatigue and improves the vitality of the body.
- For digestion- Nagarmotha has a pungent, bitter-sweet flavour that has the ability to relieve spasms and pain mainly on the digestive system. The root powder of Nagarmotha increases your appetite and the pungent aroma helps to cure indigestion.
- Aids in weight loss – It helps reduce excess fat from the body and helps manage obesity by boosting the digestive system and its absorption properties.
- For obesity- Nagarmotha root power has anti-obesity properties. Regular consumption of this powder reduces the accumulation of fat in the body and helps reduce obesity. It also burns and improves the process of fat metabolism.