Jamun or black plum is an incredibly healthy fruit, and jamun seeds don’t lag behind. Those tiny black seeds of jamun that we tend to scrape out or spit out while eating Jamun fruit are equally beneficial for our health. Jamun is rich is fiber, so in addition to eating it, you can also consume the seeds, which can help with weight loss. The fruit is diuretic, anti- scorbutic and carminative in properties and is a rich source of polyphenolic compounds. Ayurveda strongly recommends this berry for treating various conditions related to heart, arthritis, asthma, stomach pain, bowel spasm, flatulence and dysentery. The diuretic effects of jamun flushes toxins out of the kidneys, while the high fibre content aids in digestion and prevents nausea and vomiting.
Jamun, the tall tree with a heavy trunk is native to the Indian sub-continent but is also widely found in various Asian countries. The tree bears fruits which are oblong in shape – that are green when raw but turn pink or purple as they ripen.
In fact, jamun found a special mention in Ramayana and is prized as the ‘Fruit of Gods’ as Lord Rama survived eating this berry during his 14 years of exile in the forest.
- May Help Manage Diabetes- Jamuns are best known for their ability to regulate blood sugar level. Jamun seeds contain compounds called jamboline and jambosine that reduce the rate at which sugar is released into the bloodstream. According to Ayurveda, Jamun seeds are beneficial for people with type-2 diabetes. Jamun seeds also increase the production of insulin. It helps in reducing the problem of frequent urination and helps in reducing the increased blood sugar level. High amounts of antioxidants are present in Jamun seeds, so this fruit is considered good for diabetes patients. Jamun seeds help prevent the symptoms of diabetes like excessive thirst or urination etc.
- To overcome stomach problems – Jamun seeds can be used to manage a number of stomach-related issues effectively. Jamuns are rich is fibre content that helps improve the functioning of the digestive system. Jamun seeds can also be used as oral medication to combat sores, inflammation and ulcers in the intestines. Jamun seeds are used in curing arthritis, blisters, anemia. The powder of Jamun seeds is used to enhance digestion. According to the scientist, Jamun fruit has a cooling effect on the body. If the metabolic activity of the stomach does not work properly, then constipation occurs. Jamun seeds contain a good amount of fiber which helps to relieve constipation. Apart from this, it also cures indigestion and other gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea.
- To strengthen teeth – Jamun seeds contain a good amount of calcium that helps strengthen teeth and gums. Also, vitamin C helps reduce gingivitis.
- Jamun is good for thyroid- Jamun seed powder is a rich source of minerals like Zinc and it helps to activate the thyroid hormones and thereby control them.
- In controlling blood pressure – Jamun seeds may prove to be a boon for people dealing with hypertension as the seed extract of the fruit contains a type of antioxidant called ellagic acid that may help in keeping a check on rapid fluctuations of blood pressure. Jamun seeds are beneficial in controlling blood pressure. They have a good amount of nutrients and antioxidants that help in regulating blood pressure levels. If the blood pressure is too high, then contact the doctor instead of trying home remedies.
- May Boost Immunity- Jamun seeds contain powerful antioxidants like flavonoids and also phenolic compounds that help keep harmful free radicals at bay.. At the same time, it helps to enhance the body’s immune system.
- Aids Weight Loss- Since jamun is rich in fibre, it may help keep tummy sated and propel weight loss process.
- In Preventing Anemia – Jamun seeds are beneficial in preventing anemia. It has some properties that help in clearing the blood and removing toxins from the body. Iron is needed to overcome anemia, and Jamun contains a good amount of iron. According to some studies, Jamun seeds are beneficial in getting rid of anemia. Jamun has adequate amount of iron, which makes it a natural blood purifier and is also good for your skin. People suffering from anemia should include jamun seeds in their daily diet due to its high iron content. Diabetics who have low haemoglobin count must consume it daily.