Babool is a small tree that grows up to a height of 8-10 m. It contains small spikes. Babool is known by several names such as gum acacia and Barbara. The scientific name of Babool tree is Acacia nilotica. Bark and gum of babool tree are very useful in various kinds of treatment. Babool tree is a medicinal tree which can be found all through dry parts of India. Babul is largely found in the Indian sub-continent. Babool is also known as the “Healing tree” as all of its parts (bark, root, gum, leaves, pods, seeds) are used for various medicinal purposes.
According to Ayurveda, chewing small pieces of fresh Babool bark is good for managing oral health problems as it strengthens gums and teeth due to its astringent property.. Babool also helps in the management of diarrhea by decreasing intestinal motility due to its Keshya property. It also provides relief from cold and cough symptoms as well as sore throat by promoting the removal of sputum from the air passages and eases breathing. Acacia tree is very effective to cure kapha and pitta. The gum silents vata pitta and cures urinary disorders, swelling, pain and bleeding of uterus. It has binding effect on stools.
The pod is anthelmintic, anti-dermatoses and relieves burning sensation.One of the main facts related to babool is that it is widely used for teeth cleaning. Regular use of babul datum makes your teeth stronger, gums healthier and also reduces plaque accumulation. Consuming Babool gum powder along with water once a day helps in relieving joint pain due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Some of the Health benefits if Babool gum powder-
- For skin problems- Babool leaves works amazingly well to heal dry skin problems like itching and flakiness. The powerful anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antifungal properties of babool leaves are beneficial in treating various skin conditions. Furthermore, babool leaves sustain the skin radiance and glow. It is also very effective in curing eczema.
- Babool for healing wounds- The chemical compounds present in leaves and bark of Babool are beneficial for healing wounds. It has the ability to control the bleeding of wounds and infection. Sprinkling Babool powder on wounds and cuts speeds the healing process.
- Controls hair fall- Babool leaves are quite beneficial for the health of hair. To control hair fall, apply the paste of babool leaves on scalp. Wash the hair after 30 minutes with a good quality shampoo for best results. Always use warm water to wash your hair.
- Dental problems- Babool tree is widely used in the manufacturing of toothpaste which ensures healthy gums and teeth. . Powdered acacia can also be used in a type of herbal toothpaste that’s been shown to clean teeth without being too abrasive to the surface of your teeth. Acacia arabica promotes oral care and also battle against dental caries and gum diseases associated with heart disease. The pod and peel of babool are burnt to ash and this is used to brush teeth and treats toothache. Furthermore, the tender branches are used as brush which strengthens the teeth and heals dental infections. Chewing small pieces of fresh bark of babool tree can be good for oral health. It not only help strengthen the teeth but heals the gum due to its Kashaya (astringent) property. The extract of a species of acacia known as Acacia catechu, sometimes called black khair, can be used in dental products like mouthwash to prevent gingivitis.
- Babool for sexual wellness- The fruit pods of Babool have aphrodisiac properties. It is widely used in Ayurveda to increase libido in both men and women. It is also very effective in treating problems like premature ejaculation in men. Although Babool is loaded with numerous health benefits, the impressive health benefits of Babool are lesser-known to the people. So, it is time that we celebrate this under-rated Ayurvedic herb and use the benefits of this plant to its full potential for the betterment of our lives.
- Benefits of Babool for diabetic patients- Babool has a bitter property that helps in controlling and managing a healthy level of sugar in the body. It is also rich in dietary fiber that plays a huge role in regulating blood sugar. Including Babool in our daily diet regulates the blood sugar level.